SXU Invites Community to Celebrate 2012 Homecoming Weekend
Saint Xavier celebrates homecoming weekend with "March of the Cougars," 5K run/walk and the big game against University of St. Francis. Vote for your favorite decorated Cougar statue.
Cougars will be on parade all weekend for Saint Xavier University's homecoming this Friday through Sunday, Sept. 28 through Sept. 29.
Saint Xav's invites friends, family, alumni and residents from the surrouding neighborhoods and communities to help the Cougars celebrate homecoming weekend.
In homage to Chicago's world-famous "Cows on Parade" exhibit, SXU staff, faculty, alumni, and student organizations "adopted" fiberglass cougar statues, created by Chicago Fiberglass Works, Inc., and decorated each with a unique theme. Cougars will be on display throughout the Homecoming Week at SXU's Chicago campus.
Starting at 4:30 p.m. Saturday, Sept. 29, watch the "March of the Cougars" as SXU cheerleaders, the Paw Prints Dance Team, the SXU Marching Band, and Champ the Cougar mascot lead a procession of Cougar statues around campus. The procession will end at Bruce R. Deaton Memorial Field, home of the 2011 NAIA National Champion Cougars football team. Statues will be on display until the Homecoming football game at 6 p.m.
You can also vote for your favorite Cougar statue on the SXU website through 11:59 p.m. Sunday, Sept. 30.
Here's the complete lineup of SXU's 2012 homecoming weekend activities:
FRIDAY, SEPTEMBER 28
- Alumni Links – 4 p.m., Stony Creek Golf Course, 5850 W. 103rd St., Oak Lawn
- Traditional golfers can have some fun with a nine-hole golf scramble. Nontraditional golfers and families can enjoy miniature golf, bean bags, or bocce ball. Participants are invited to wrap up the evening at a reception on the outdoor patio. Traditional golf costs $45 (includes golf with cart, dinner and soft drinks with cash bar), and miniature golf costs $15 for adults and $10 for children (includes miniature golf, dinner and soft drinks).
SATURDAY, SEPTEMBER 29
- 12th Annual Cougar 5K Run/Walk – 9 a.m., Shannon Center
- Join alumni, students, parents and friends of SXU in the 12th Annual Cougar 5K Run/Walk. All participants receive a long sleeve T-shirt, refreshments and a ticket to the football game upon request. The course starts and finishes on the campus and runs through Evergreen Park. Register online at www.sxu.edu, keyword: Cougar 5K
- All-Alumni Reunion Tent – 2:30 p.m., Bruce R. Deaton Memorial Field
- In addition to a pre-game reunion celebration for the classes of '07, '02, '92, '87 and '82, the Office of Alumni and Parent Relations welcomes all the reunion groups from the SOE, SON, GSM, CAS and SCPS. The $25 per person admission (21 and over) includes food and beverages. A portion of the proceeds will support the Student Scholarship Fund or the Cougar Club. Parents are welcome!
- Homecoming football game vs. University of Saint Francis (Ind.) – 6 p.m., Bruce R. Deaton Memorial Field
- The 2011 NAIA champion SXU Cougars face off against University of Saint Francis. All alumni who register at the SXU alumni hospitality tent will be given free admission to the game!
SUNDAY, SEPTEMBER 30
- Homecoming Liturgy – 11 a.m., Smith-Morris Quad
- Homecoming 2012 will culminate with an outdoor celebration of the Liturgy of the Word and will include a blessing for the recipients of the Spirit of Saint Xavier Awards. A reception honoring these exceptional alumni will be held on the patio of the Smith-Morris Quad immediately following the liturgy. The award recipients are:
- Kevin Clark '78, of Oak Forest, Sister Dorothy Marie Peschon '19 Award.
- Bernada Baker '04, of Chicago, Rita A. Ford '98 Faith in the Future Award.
- Patrick "Andy" Devine '75, of Oak Forest, Spirit of Saint Xavier Award.
All homecoming activities take place on SXU's Chicago campus at 3700 W. 103rd St. unless otherwise noted.